Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Good Start...


Or A Great Start…
When I started the new regime I had no idea what to expect really, the Naturopath described a week of hell and then taking off like a rocket…well there has been no hell and no rockets either. Perhaps I am truly blessed because I have not had the horrible sickness she described, and I could say I have had more energy than prior but it has been hard to gauge because I was a solo parent for 12 days while Hubby was away in Thailand.
So now as I continue with hubby home and most things settling down again I may be able to see a bigger change, Time will tell…
Very nice but not the same as real coffee sadly

In the last post I promised a little more information about my intolerances and what kind of diet changes I had to make. Well it is quite drastic due to those things my body has trouble dealing with, some may just be for a season due to the fact that my body is so depleted at present and finds it difficult to cope with things I may have a slight intolerance to in the past but is exaggerated by a low immune system.
Totally yuckky...

Dairy, gluten, caffeine, most food additives and colours, vinegar, yeast, chocolate, alcohol, tea, fruits such as – nectarines, strawberry, kiwi, pineapple, berries, oranges, apple, rockmelon, red & green grapes
Pork, preserved meats, peanut, pistachio, aspartame, cane sugar, brown sugar, xylitol, molasses, honey, fructose, stevia.
All the nightshade vegetables such as white potato, tomato, eggplant & red pepper.
White wheat flour, whole wheat, corn, jasmine rice.
Sweet corn, mushrooms, sweet pickles, dill pickles, tomato sauce (catsup) anything that ferments in the gut such as soy sauce.
Most important part of  the day...

Well that’s it mostly, so what is left to eat when you eliminate all that from your diet you might ask…well quite a lot really, it just means that most of my meals are from scratch and quite basic, I do happen to be able to use most herbs and spices (with the exception of the ones made from things off the list) which really lifts the game when deciding what to make for dinner or lunch.
I can have chicken (skin free) and most of the whole meats except pork. Olive oil to cook with or canola oil, steamed veg that are on my list and you have a nice meal.
A big plus to all of the changes to my diet is a renewed ability to lose weight, my weight loss had stalled completely due to my body having a leaky gut but craving the bad things like sugar (in many forms). So I have seen the scales go down by 5.7 kilos in the 2 weeks since I made the changes.
I guess for me the hardest thing is thinking about what to have at every mealtime to keep it interesting and not become repetitive and boring.
I love the web and finding recipes that can be adapted to suit my needs, friends have sent me links or whole recipes that might be of help (and a lot are).
Sometimes it is tough going like when Hubby and I went out for the evening to the Glen Frey (of the Eagles) concert, it would have been so nice to have a drink before the concert and a coffee after, but alas it was not to be. Catching up with friends for a cuppa has become a lot harder, I have suggested we meet in a park and BYO or something like that…I certainly miss just grabbing a coffee while I am out shopping. My closest companion is my water bottle.
Next time I will try to share some of those recipe I have found that can be adapted to most diets.
Until then I hope you are healthy and happy, enjoying your life and sewing up a storm.
Happy stitching and cooking
Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing what you are going through, your diet change, and what it is~ I am also trying to lose weight, and it has been next to impossible. I don't have any digestive issues...just can't seem to lose. I've gone from vegetarian, to vegan to raw to juicing to raw and juicing and I've decided I need to eat a small amount of protein, some veggies and a little fruit and some oils. That is it. Sounds almost like what you are doing. Anyways, it was interesting to read what you are dealing with.

    ReplyDelete